Pages

April 19, 2011

Counterfeit Coupons

After couponing the past couple years I was surprised how much I didn't know about counterfeit coupons. I think there is more awareness at stores right now because of shows like TLC's extreme couponers. Interestingly Kroger (which owns Fred Meyer, King Soopers, Dillons, Food4Less, Bakers, City Market, Fry's, Hilander, JC, Gerbes and various other grocery market/department store chains ) is where most of the couponers on that particular show shop. I read about one of the participants in the show being a fraud and since then I've been doing some research. Today one of my favorite coupon blogs posted this link.

I've learned that stores DO NOT get reimbursed for illegit coupons. I hadn't thought much about it before because I've always assumed the coupons I get were legitimate. I guess I always assumed that the manufacturer bore the burden of these coupons but apparently there is a way to detect coupons that are not credible even when they are printed via internet from home computers. The manufacturers do not honor the coupons and the store/pharmacy you shop at does not get reimbursed.
With Kroger already tightening their scrutiny of coupons I think it is important that we spread the word to our fellow coupon users to watch out. Printable coupons are so prolific these days that my guess is they will be the first to be denied at local stores. Just in the short time I've been couponing I've seen stores change their policies about printable coupons numerous times. I've already experienced two local Walgreens that turned away my printables for several months because they had been inundated by counterfeits. Now when they do accept printables they only accept a couple at a time.
I would say the majority of my savings and free items come from printables and it has been such a blessing to my family. Lets take care of our local stores so they can be properly reimbursed and thus continue to accept all types of coupons. They don't have to accept coupons at all and we are the ones who will suffer if they stop.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Template by BloggerCandy.com