Pages

August 11, 2010

The Impossibility of Perfection

I currently find myself in the middle of so many projects that if they were all piled in one place...on top of me...it would appear as if I'd been in an avalanche. I think it may be time to go back to the drawing board. *sigh*
I want to do everything. Not only do I want to do everything I want to do it perfectly. Is that too much to ask?
I started piano lessons again this week. I have to keep reminding myself that just because I'm playing a one handed version of Beethoven's Ninth this week a year from now I might actually get through the real thing. That really isn't that far away in the big picture. Unfortunately the daily grind makes it seem like a lot longer and plucking at my keyboard during Derek's nap times doesn't feel all that productive. I mean I can play the songs I've been practicing much better than when I first started but then I turn the page and, guess what, there's a new song and I feel like I'm starting all over again.
My least favorite feeling in the world.
And wouldn't you know it applies to just about everything I do in a day. The dishes always get dirty again. I'm thinking we're going to go family style and start eating out of the pot/pan/bowl with our hands. Is that too savage? The laundry always has to be washed again. The bathroom never stays clean. And no matter how many diapers I change the little man just keeps filling up another one.
With all these daily tasks I wonder why I pile on so many new things. A friend told me just the other day that you need to invest 10,000 hours into something to be an expert. That is something like 416 days. 24 hours a day. Straight. So in reality if I spend 15 minutes a day on each of my crafts/projects/tasks it will only take me 120 years to be an expert at each and everyone of them. And I thought I was going to have to have patience for piano. Sheesh.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Template by BloggerCandy.com