Pages

March 15, 2011

Custard Makes Me Feel Fancy

Above you will see my improvised double boiler in which my mom is assisting in the constant stirring of vanilla custard as I indulge a whim and take a picture.
Maybe it isn't just custard that makes me feel fancy...maybe just pulling out a recipe that calls for a double boiler will do the trick. Yesterday it was banana pudding that was calling to me. I don't understand living in the South where banana pudding is tradition and having so many variations of said dish presented from box mixes. I remember the first time I wanted to make it for my husband's family...they had never heard of cooking custard and layering vanilla wafers and bananas. I think it is devastating. I should start a foundation.
Now as I sit typing I realize I should have taken a picture of the finished product. That is impossible now seeing as it has been almost completely devoured.
How about a picture as I was preparing the layers?
You can find a picture of the finished product along with the recipe here. You might note I made mine in a Pyrex boil. I don't do meringue. Ick! So I didn't bake the pudding. My family has just always layered and let it sit for a bit. In hindsight I will bake it next time, that way I can eat it sooner :). 
On a side note: The vanilla custard portion of this recipe is delicious on its own.
Happy banana pudding-ing!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Template by BloggerCandy.com